The ft looks at corporate resilience when you look at the chronilogical age of coronavirus these days and our listing of the utmost effective 100 organizations handling to thrive within the pandemic is ruled by technology.
Initial 17, in an inventory ranked by equity value added this present year, are all technology, media or telecoms organizations. amazon leads how, with its marketplace limit increasing by over $400bn considering that the beginning of the 12 months. its followed closely by microsoft, apple, tesla and tencent. you are able to review profiles on performance of each and every business here.
At the same time, richard waters writes the summer of techlash has arrived, with a collection of federal and state antitrust investigations into big tech in the us arriving at a mind and eu stealing the headlines by announcing two formal investigations into apple.
Brussels briefing adds that european parliament has just voted overwhelmingly in preference of actions against gatekeepers, such as for example bing, including the atomic choice to break them up because of the huge energy they have built up.
1. wirecard main quits after 1.9bn hole appearswirecards leader markus braun resigned on friday, once the company he built into europes most valuable financial technology group reeled from revelations that 1.9bn of money ended up being missing from the lender reports. its stocks have actually dropped above 70 percent in two times as investors reassess the solvency of a bunch that processes tens of vast amounts of euros in credit and debit deals every year. read thefts wirecard investigation right here.
2. social networking versus trumpfor the very first time, twitter has labelled videos tweeted by president trump as containing controlled media. it featured a black child running far from a white kid, with a fake cnn caption. facebook stated it had taken down posts and advertising from donald trumps re-election campaign thatfeatured a nazi symbolused to mark governmental prisoners in focus camps.
3. press freedom and hacks attackedits been a tough few days for reporters with president trump reportedly saying such scumbags should-be executed for perhaps not revealing sources, ex-ebay employees allegedly terrorising bloggers on a trade book with bloodied pig masks and philippines reporter maria ressa for the rappler news web site being discovered accountable of cyber libel and sentenced to around six many years in jail. now, journalists at hong kongs general public broadcaster rthk were informed to tone down their particular protection associated with the citys independence action while the new conservative employer associated with us department for global media features sacked the pinnacle of broadcast totally free europe, among others.
4. australia under cyber attacka advanced, state-sponsored cyber attack happens to be targeting australian government, business, education and political organisations over numerous months, based on prime minister scott morrison. cyber safety specialists believe china is one of likely culprit.
5. inside netflixs battle to resume filmingthe international entertainment factory that is netflix isreawakening from its pandemic slumber. on swedish pair of an intimate comedy final month the directors even pulled down exactly what would-be near impossible in many of covid-wracked europe: ascreen kiss. alex barkers ft mag piece talks about how the streaming service is restarting production.
One of many co-founders of this music-streaming website napster is starting a long-range wi-fi community for internet of things-based services in europe, so as to break the stranglehold of the conventional telecoms sector, states nic fildes.
Helium, the silicon valley-based organization behind the new network, had been establish by napster co-founder shawn fanning and former brit professional movie gamer amir haleem in 2013, but just launched its low-power community in austin, tx in august just last year. it has since broadened to 1,000 places in united states and launches in european countries recently.
Unlike a normal community operator, helium, which uses the lorawan long-range standard, offers specific hotspots at a price of 450 to customers which accept put the cardboard boxes inside their house windows. the hotspot owner then takes a cut of any revenue made with the use of the system, and also the unit in addition mines heliums in-house cryptocurrency. helium contends it could protect a whole city with between 50 and 100 hotspots. read more