Skip to main content

Black bear kebabs make family sick with parasitic worms

·1 min

It was supposed to be a celebration, but a family’s meal of black bear meat sent several members to the hospital instead. The incident occurred during a reunion in South Dakota in summer 2022. One family member, who was a hunter, brought frozen black bear meat that he had harvested. Despite recommendations to thoroughly cook bear meat due to potential parasites, the meat was initially served rare at the family gathering before being grilled further. After the event, family members fell ill, with symptoms pointing to trichinellosis caused by parasites in the meat. The hospitalized individuals received treatment and everyone has since recovered.